Translate Your Skills and Experience into Compelling Qualifications
[Get The Essential Resume Customization Checklist Below]
Picture this: I was (metaphorically) knee-deep in resumes, searching for that perfect candidate to fill a marketing position. As I clicked through countless applicants, something caught my eye—resumes proudly displaying titles like Food Service Specialist, Sports Management Assistant, and Retail Store Manager. I reviewed one of them, only to find a laundry list of tasks from their retail experiences. How did any of this relate to the marketing role I was eager to fill?
Let’s face it: Your resume has just 7 seconds to make an impression (if it even makes it past the applicant tracking system (ATS) software). In those few moments, it needs to shout, “I’m qualified!” It has to highlight the relevant aspects of your experience and stand out from the competition.
Customizing your title, skills, and bullet points is key to your success. If you don’t master these techniques (or enlist someone who has), interview requests will be few and far between.
Key Components of a Customized Resume
Let’s dive in! As we walk through the key components of a compelling resume, I’ll provide you with practical tips on how to tailor each section to make it relevant to your desired job.
Name, Title, and Contact Information
When it comes to customizing your resume, keep the following in mind:
- Name: Consider using a variation that grabs attention or aligns with your new career path. Are you Bobby Smith, Robert Smith, or Robert James Smith?
- Title: If applicable, incorporate relevant experience into your title. Otherwise, simply use the actual job title followed by the word “Candidate.”
- Contact Information: Hey, HappyBaker36@aol.com, it’s time to bid farewell to your old random email address. Opt for a professional and straightforward email address that includes your name and possibly your area of expertise, using a modern email domain.
Craft a concise paragraph that highlights your qualifications and convinces employers why they should hire you. When customizing, focus on transferable skills and experiences that align with the job you’re targeting. Imagine you’re answering an interview question, emphasizing the benefits the employer will gain by bringing you on board.
Use these tips to tailor your work experience section:
- Name the section “Relevant Experience” and include only work experience that directly relates to your desired job.
- Make sure each bullet point showcases your abilities to perform the targeted job.
- Quantify everything to give a more impactful and clearer picture of your skills.
When customizing the skills section:
- Prioritize the skills mentioned in the job description.
- Include both hard and soft skills, as well as relevant software and areas of expertise.
- Research the job and identify important skills beyond those mentioned in the job description.
- Highlight your transferable skills, even if they were included in your work experience.
To effectively tailor your education section, you can:
- Include all of your relevant information, such as related coursework, even if it’s not directly tied to your degree.
- List your education immediately after the summary if it is closely related to the target job. Otherwise, place it closer to the end.
- Consider taking 2-3 relevant courses. Numerous platforms offer free or paid courses, including well-regarded institutions like Harvard and MIT.
Putting It All Together: Customizing Your Resume
Feeling overwhelmed at the thought of doing this yourself?
This will help.
Download the essential checklist
If you’re a DIY kind of person, I’ve put together a checklist for you. Just download it and then work on one section at a time.
Fast-Track Your Success with Coaching
Customizing your resume and conducting a job search can seem like a full-timejob. But with personalized coaching, you can fast-track your journey from your current job to your dream career. I will help you translate your past experience into relevant qualifications, asking the right questions and connecting the dots between your past and future. Together, we’ll transform your resume into a powerful showcase of your accomplishments.